What is a nos cracker?
A nos cracker is a small cylindrical usually metal device used to dispense gas chargers such as nitrous oxide (nos / N20) into balloons.
What are the risks?
Always use a balloon, never Inhale gas directly from the cracker/ dispenser as when released it is very cold and can cause frostbite to the lips, tongue and throat.
The cracker gets very cold when gas is dispensed, either use a glove/towl for insulation, or purchase an insulated Rubber Grip Nos Cracker
How to use a nos cracker
- Start by carefully unscrewing the cracker.
- Place the gas charger inside the cracker such that the metal pin is facing the foil in the charger.
- Screw on the lid of the cracker as tight possible, the metal pin will pierce the foil in the cracker.
- Attach a balloon to the end of the cracker with the holes on it. If your nos cracker has a lip to attach to balloons this should be easy enough or else slide on the balloon onto the cracker by about 1cm.
- Slowly unscrew the nos cracker, until the gas begins to fill the balloon.
- Tap the bottom of the nos cracker to release any remaining gas.